Prebiotics and probiotics though it sounds similar, both are one of the most discussed topics among nutritionist these days. Yes! We need healthy bacteria for maintaining a healthy gut. So, the food we eat tailors the need of the gut. Approximately there are nearly 1000 different species of known bacteria living in our intestine.
Hence, to preserve the gut microbial environment, we entail equipping both prebiotics and probiotics to our gut. If we take prebiotics it helps already existing gut microbes to grow, on the other hand, probiotics directly delivers the living microbes in the gut. Now, in this article, let’s go through about probiotics and prebiotics and its importance for our gut health. Check out to know more about it.
Prebiotics are the non-digestible part of the food (which a human cannot digest) mainly found in the bananas, garlic, onions, whole grains, leeks, oats, barley, apples, flaxseeds, and artichokes to name a few. These, when ingested, passes through the small intestine and further, the food gets fermented in the colon. During this process, it releases beneficial bacteria needed for the gut. The gut bacteria are essential to carry out many vital functions in our body.
Importance of prebiotics for your gut:
- Improves calcium absorption
- Boost metabolism and digestion
- Reduces the risk of diarrhoea, cardiovascular disease, and coronary heart disease
- Prevents colorectal cancer
- Improves immune function, reduces the chance of inflammation, and eases the symptoms associated with inflammatory bowel disease
- Helps in weight management and prevents obesity.
Prebiotic supplements are available in the market. You can order supplements from any reliable online pharmacy store to increase the gut-friendly bacteria. One of the major advantages of consuming prebiotics is, it never alters or destroys the enzymes and gastric acids while passing through the digestive tract. Hence, prebiotics are safe to consume.
Probiotics are live organisms containing specific strains of bacteria which, when consumed adds healthy microbes needed in your gut. The most common and widely suggested probiotics by the expert are “yoghurt”. To fix your digestive issues and to promote a healthy gut, have probiotic supplements.
It helps to lower irritable bowel syndrome. Before having supplements speak to your doctor as the improper use or a combination of this supplement with other drug can affect your regular medications. So, speak to your doctor and find out the right one that suits your needs.
Importance of probiotics for your gut:
- Probiotic supplements are recommended by doctors if you are on the antibiotic course. This is because probiotics help to re-populate the colon with healthy bacteria. Hence, it reduces or prevents diarrhoea.
- Intake of probiotics keeps your heart healthy by lowering the levels of bad cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Probiotics help to lower the risk of irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, and other digestive disorders.
- Probiotics help to boost your immunity and inhibits the growth of microorganisms, thereby protecting your body from infections and diseases.
- Consuming certain strains of probiotics keep you fuller, burning calories, thereby it aids in weight loss.
- Ingesting on probiotics help to protect you from a wide range of health conditions such as allergies, depression, colon cancer, Crohn’s disease, arthritis, obesity, diabetes, etc.
- Probiotics improve the digestion process. It also helps absorb the nutrients from the food.
- Probiotics also, help in vitamin synthesis.
The key ingredient for a healthy life is to balance the gut microbiota. Include plenty of prebiotic and probiotic foods in your diet to maintain overall health and well being. If you cannot supplement your body through foods, then try taking it in the form of supplements.
But, never take any prebiotic and probiotic supplements on your own. Speak to your doctor and if any supplements are prescribed, then order it from the best online medicine purchase site at your convenience.